Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Barb closed her account the other evening after a dispute between some posters. Go to caregivers Behaving Badly. Read the First eight of so entries. One poster admits lying to get people following her.
(0)

Sent you a PM. Saw it and now it is gone.
(1)

Riverdale, if you were talking about sending me a PM, I didn’t receive.
(0)

Have now sent both of you one but Dorker's disappeared.
(0)

Yep. One to you also disappeared. Just know everyone this is happening
(0)

NHWM,

One helpful therapy for what you are talking about is

"Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) is a fairly new, nontraditional type of psychotherapy. It's growing in popularity, particularly for treating post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). ... It does not rely on talk therapy or medications. Instead, EMDR uses a patient's own rapid, rhythmic eye movement."
(2)

Barb has come back, but she has said that she's going on a long vacation. You can't leave any comments on her page as she's gone entirely private. I'm glad she is back.
(2)

Yoda.

So what do you suggest? My therapist has never mentioned that treatment for me. He says I have PTSD. I have only done talk therapy. Should I google to see who does this type of therapy? Should I ask him if he has done it. He’s an older fellow, about my age. You say this is a new therapy.

Have you heard about how successful it is? What feedback is there on it?

Thank you for your suggestion.
(1)

NHWM,

Since he's an older fellow, he may not know much about it. I've heard good things about it. I had a therapist who tried it on me for my trauma, but I felt like she was an armature at doing it and thus I left her and she soon left being a therapist.
(1)

I know poor Dorker's thread gets hijacked frequently. I once referred to it as some of us hanging out at Starbucks.

This has been a sad and frustrating day. I am dealing with my husband recovering from prostrate surgery which is a difficult recovery in a number of ways. When I posted about it while I felt very stressed while he was in surgery I eventually had one reply that was so negative. I wonder if that person stopped to think that cancer is not a better alternative.

I think this site can lose credibility if it does not remain genuine. A number of events happened to me here today that were disheartening. There I am bringing Dorker's theme back.

Obviously so many have endured tremendous pain and others will still. I can't compare my own with that of many and since coming here I have realized that. I still feel deeply for all the pain and wrongs that are afflicting others. I just would hope that those here are not pretending to be who they aren't. I believe that to be the case to a small degree. If one feels that way I think there is a sense of reticence to share their stories. Hope you all have a good night.
(7)

It is like book club.....gathering at Starbucks to discuss the latest installment of Dorkers book over coffee :)

I for one am glad the mods have left this thread alone all these years & am appreciative of Dorkers gracefulness when the thread gets hijack. And even more grateful she’s been sharing her saga for so long. It’s like a good book you can’t put down.
(10)

Thanks, Yoda.

Really appreciate the info and your thoughtfulness.
(1)

I have been amused by Captain’s comments on the ‘What’s for dinner’ thread. It is nice to have some ongoing threads that continue to thrive.

I like that Dorker has her private little hang out. It’s sort of like Paul’s site, about his dad in the UK.
(5)

About the EMDR.
My friend used it about 15 years ago. So I know it’s been around at least that long. She was trying to decide whether or not to take an early retirement package when her company merged. She was a director and her job was her life. A BIG decision for her. Lots of anxiety. She said it really helped her. There are many who practice in NOLA.
(4)

97, That is encouraging to hear. Thanks!
(1)

Wow! I think my question took us all on a side road that lead out of Dorkerville. Sorry about that!

Time for everyone here on AC to quit worrying about which day we’re all to wear pink and get back to scheming ways to hide the family farm from Medicaid, how to get paid for caring for our husbands, and just how in the hell you get a urine sample from someone with raging incontinence. And in Dorkerville - its back to shish-kabobbing SIL...

JUST KIDDING!!!

I love you all, my dorks in Dorkerville and I especially love that we don’t fight and put each other down.
And, hearing Barb will eventually be back - it’s the cherry on my sundae!
(14)

Needhelpwithmom, I am so sorry you are feeling depressed. You have been my rock and have picked me up many times on this forum. I never get tired of hearing what you have to say. I always look forward to your comments. You have helped me to have limited contact with my mother. You have taught me so much on here. Please don’t ever think your words are going unnoticed because they’re not. They are inspirational.
(3)

Rainmom,you always make me laugh so much and to the others who communicated with me yesterday I appreciate it so much. For awhile I felt I was in a version of the Cold War.

I don't have much pink in my wardrobe but I will look forward to that virtual day of solidarity!
(2)

Hijack away ...

It's happened before. If I have anything to say on Dorkerville as to needing help/advice, I just hop on and ask away. No biggie to me.

I'm glad Barb returned. I, for one, find that her sound reasoning and advice, is a wealth of help here. We need her here.

Needshelp, I'm so sorry that you feel so traumatized by all you've weathered. That's what this site is so helpful with, folks will come along with suggestions and if nothing else, words of comfort, to help you weather it. It takes time, .. lots of time .. to come out from under the fog and misery of it all. You have to allow that "time" to work through it, that's all there is to it.
(11)

Rainmom: "I love you all, my dorks in Dorkerville and I especially love that we don’t fight and put each other down."

I am proud to be a Dork from Dorkerville!
(10)

"Time for everyone here on AC to quit worrying about which day we’re all to wear pink and get back to scheming ways to hide the family farm from Medicaid, how to get paid for caring for our husbands, and just how in the hell you get a urine sample from someone with raging incontinence."

Rainmom WINS the "Funniest Comment on AC" award today!
(7)

Thanks Dorker,

Some emotions were unexpected for me all the way around. Our lives can become riddled with anxiety and depression at times, can’t it?

I had learned years ago to quiet anxiety before issues pretty well. It’s futile to worry endlessly about something that hasn’t happened yet. Here’s my thing. For a long time I held up okay during a crisis. Then I dealt with a delayed reaction and fell apart afterwards.

Then, as the crises moments began to happen frequently with mom I found that I became overwhelmed and my frustration and even anger took over. I don’t like feeling anger. I felt it robbed me of all my joy.

I felt awful that I was angry. I wasn’t angry that mom had Parkinson’s disease. She couldn’t help that. I was angry because I was so damn helpless in my situation. I was angry because it hurt me so badly watching her suffer. I hated that she suffered with this awful disease. I wanted her to be like grandma, her mom who didn’t have health issues and died simply of old age. I wanted a magic wand to wave her pain away.

To top it off, mom is a perfectionist and I always felt that she expected me to do more when I was struggling to do my best.

I found myself needing the help of a therapist.

Perhaps one of the worst situations during caregiving for me was the isolation that came with it. You know, having to stop working, not see friends, no privacy with my husband or evenings of weekends together anymore to share things we loved. Plus, simply losing time alone in my own home. It’s hard sharing a home with a parent.

The resentment and I am ashamed to say the jealousy I started to develop for those who were not caregivers. That really surprised me because I always found joy in other people’s happiness. Those unexpected feelings destroyed my peace. I did not recognize the person that was staring back in the mirror at me. At one time I was even jealous of my husband because he got to go to work, out to lunch, out of town for business trips, etc. I lost all sense of my purpose and the more I tried to convince myself that caregiving was my purpose the more upset I became. I would question if this would be my life forever. It was terrifying feeling as if life was passing me by and I was left with only the heartache of watching my mom deteriorate while being unappreciated and criticized by her and my siblings.

I finally got fed up with watching the world go by and decided to become a part of life again. I felt immense relief at first when I told mom to go to my brother’s house because I did more than my share after providing a home for her for 15 years.

I was overwhelmed with grief, sadness and emptiness after mom left. I felt lost. I was grieving for a woman that was still living.

Even though I chose no contact with mom and siblings to avoid the toxicity, I find at times I am also grieving for the healthy family that I never had in my life, not even in childhood. I wanted the stinking fairy tale.

Weird emotions started happening. I started remembering the happier times and of course there were happy times mixed in and I cry about why couldn’t those moments have lasted. You know, questioning what went wrong and why?

I don’t know if you are able to relate to any of my crap. I am trying to deal with it all. Hope my posting hasn’t been too annoying or depressing. I appreciate your compassion.
(5)

Thanks, Elaine.

I appreciate it. Guess it’s after effects of a long ride. A ride that had tons of detours, twists and turns that changed my life forever. I am just trying to heal. I have scars from the emotional wounds but we can live with scars.

I don’t expect to be the person that I was before caregiving. I know I am dealing with PTSD. I am in therapy. The memories are hard. I am getting impatient and want to speed up the healing.

I know that I have to acknowledge my feelings but I get terrified of getting stuck. It’s hard sometimes acclimating to a life without mom. She was my whole world for so long. I guess that sounds confusing or dumb.

I am relieved and I do know that I made the right choice. I do encourage others to end toxic relationships. I know that I will work through this.

We have bumps in the road to get over. It’s dealing with the nightmares that I have had recently. I have always had recurring dreams. My therapist has told me dreams can be fierce triggers for someone with PTSD. So can those damn commercials with the life alert button.

Instantly in my mind I see my mom lying on the floor again! Calling the ambulance, ER trips, the whole bit replays in my head. I started walking out of the room when that commercial comes on.
(1)

NHWM, I can understand how you feel. The feeling of helplessness and anxiety of watching a loved one suffer is hard, but when you are also dealing with family dysfunction and toxic behavior it can be especially traumatic. You get used to running on adrenaline and/or being hypervigilant all the time, which affects anxiety levels, sleep, etc. I think I too am still dealing with PTSD from everything I have been through with my family, and can definitely relate to feeling like an orphan and grieving the family you wish you had. I felt that way even way before mom passed due to the dysfunctional nature of our relationship (I was pretty much the mom to my own mom) and because of other toxic, abusive family members that I have since had to go no contact with. It does feel lonely sometimes, but engaging with toxic relatives is not worth the stress and just invites more of the abusive behavior.

Reading your posts here as well as the Dorker thread helps me to know and remember I am not alone or crazy lol, that there are others who are in the same boat or who have experienced similar. It's definitely a one day at a time process with good days and bad days. I'm thankful for this community here of like minded friends. Hugs, NeedHelp, I'm glad you share your journey here with us. I think Dorker is right, we just have to give time time to work through it all.
(3)

Frazzled,

Thanks, your post makes me feel less crazy! You know what I mean? Sometimes we do need to vent and I am very grateful to this forum for allowing me to. There are other times, for my own sanity I need to create an ‘off’ switch and I will work on a project, take a walk, cook a yummy meal for dinner to share with my husband, anything to distract me.
(2)

To Needshelp, I sent you a PM ..
(2)

NHWM and others this may relate to including possibly Dorker, I too find that I am able to cope well with serious news at the time it happens only to be pulled underneath it later once it sinks in. I think that is a survival mode our minds do. Of course were it to be a horrific tragedy I don't know if that would still be the case as fortunately that has not happened to me. I have had serious life events such as my husband being hit by a motorcycle as a pedestrian in 2005. He has no memory of it. It certainly left him altered in ways yet it could have been much worse.

Dorker spent a great deal of time dealing with her MIL until it became too much to continue in the same manner. I admire the strength she has had in dealing with a daughter who has had issues.

I too wished my mother had different qualities,certainly while growing up. This site has helped me appreciate certain qualities she does have. I truly feel for all of you who are dealing with parents who create such anguish. NHWM, you have dealt with so very much between your mother and siblings. I certainly understand how you would have PTSD symptoms. All I can say to you is that you deserve a great deal of credit for surviving it all and seeking therapeutic ways to help yourself. You also are so helpful to many others here with frequent responses. I hope you find ways to be good to yourself and know that you have strong survival instincts.
(5)

Thanks, River

It helps just feeling like I can talk about it with other people that have dealt with similar situations. My mom and brothers never wanted to hear anything I had to say about important issues. Talking about trivial stuff like the whether to ‘keep peace’ in a family isn’t an authentic relationship. It gets old to be silenced for saying what needs to be said. They refused to look at the elephant in the room.
(2)

NHWM: Yes the elephant...

I wrote a short story - just for myself called Four Elephants in a Doll's House. It kind of helps to put it down somewhere (& out of my head).

It's *funny* isn't it when the person who doesn't stay blind, who points out the elephant is shunned or attacked instead of applauded.

Like Dorker when she was warning of the approaching tsunami hitting when MIL was at home, not coping, a fall & medical risk but SIL was still examining the tiny shells on the beach. No thanks. Just endless resistance & tiny shells. The elephant was out there surfing the giant wave in!
(6)

Beatty,

Absolutely! You nailed it!
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter