Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Paul, wonder how you're feeling today, now that England are Autumn Rugby Internationals Champions after this weekend?! Just saying...
We are Gloucester supporters actually but they are not doing well at the moment.
(0)

Traaaaaaaaaact-errrr...!!!

We are? Why did I get such a grumpy text from Daughter 2, then - who did we beat? Sorry, busy working, missed the match.

Paul I couldn't give a monkey's what anyone thinks about class distinctions either way round full stop. I grew out of it when my Dad nearly burst a blood vessel not laughing at my expression as I was introduced to my Shropshire-native second cousin, who had been married to a London bus driver for forty years and whose accent was the worst of both. My blood relation, and she sounded like a cross between Wurzel Gummidge and Alf Garnett.

I was putting your dad's point of view, one reason why he's so aggressive (i.e. defensive) when you spend money on anything that isn't carbolic soap.
(2)

ChrisCat - could see Kingsholm from the top of Shire Hall.
Yeh Wales are poor at the moment though.

Half the Glos team is welsh aren't they? I used to say that - even the rugby team has got to ship the welsh over the border to help them ;-)

My best ever two weeks in work were the Rugby world cup. Wales beat England then England lost to Australia to get knocked out the weekend after. Two good mondays....

I'm an expert on cheap (and scruffy) hotels in Gloucester. Used to stay over sometimes. (and I was paying so nothing fancy!) Don't go to The Station hotel ever!
(1)

Thank you for that Paul. Excellent rugby wit! Your father should be proud of you slumming it in a cheap hotel dive In Gloucester!
(1)

"Your father should be proud of you slumming it in a cheap hotel dive In Gloucester!"

Given some of the quotes attributed to him, I should think he would suggest sleeping in the car rather than pay...
(3)

Hahaha 🤣, Disgustedtoo

Very funny! Yeah, that’s about right for Paul’s dad.

I know that you are being facetious but you did make me giggle. Thanks for the laugh.
(2)

Partly smart-aleck, but reading that he won't spend a lousy nickel on something (farthing? shilling?), he would probably want to stay in the car. Even cheap hotels cost money, and it's a cheap hotel so it isn't worth it! God forbid they expect a tip!!
(2)

Disgustedtoo,

Or a very cheap tip! I have a friend who does that and the rest of us cover the tip.

It’s embarrassing that she’s so cheap, so we end up tipping extra.

The waitstaff deserve to be paid. That’s their salary.
(2)

"I'm on the way honestly - better than I was." Paul, that's a good sign, as only YOU can really know how you are doing!

disgusted too--Farthings and shillings basically disappeared from the system on February 15, 1971, known as "Decimal Day" although the shilling coins were still used as 5 "new" pence coins. The farthing actually disappeared (demonetized) much earlier because its purchasing power was so low as to render it essentially useless. Now the new pence (without the word "new" anymore) and pounds are the only units in circulation, with 100 pence = 1 pound. Among too many other things, I collect British coins and enjoy talking about them (although I live in the US), and particularly like the pre-decimal system (of farthings, half-pennies, pennies, threepence, groats, sixpence, shillings, florins, half-crowns and crowns and a few odd denominations, with 20 shillings or 240 pence to a pound sterling). After all, a shilling was also called a "bob"!
(2)

Jacobsonbob, excellent UK decimalisation knowledge! I was a child when this happened. We were all taught about it at school in the 12 months leading up to the switch over so it was quite straightforward for us. Shame my grandparents didn't get the same preparation. They spent the next FIFTEEN years saying " what's that in old money? " every time they bought anything in the shops, when everything was price marked in "new pence ". That same inability to adjust with the times persists in my family today. Neither of my parents ever switched on a computer nor used the internet. How is this so?
(1)

Chriscat - I've got to admit I LOVE Gloucester. Made some great friends working there..... I've worked in cheltenham too (UCAS near the racecourse) and its dead posh there....
(1)

Paul, I know that UCAS building! Yes, Cheltonians are regarded as posh - I would say a bit snobbish actually. But I love its Regency buildings and stunning surrounding countryside. I expect your dad would say "Cheltenham's not for the likes of us!!".
(1)

Visit tonight... Had a bit of a go at him last week.

Despite me telling him I'll visit anyway hes still justifying it by getting me to get groceries for him at the same time. Last week I had to get 5 items for him.

As I've said before, hes got a massive chest freezer, fridge. He keeps it empty- its just crazy. There is no reason to do this. Bear in mind my brother visits to get things like milk etc.

I'm working in the day, sometimes I'm feding the kids waiting for wife to come home, then I've got to trek to the supermarket, sometimes queue to get in, for 5 items. Most of which are not perishable. Add as hour on to my "visit".

I tried to tell him - I WILL STILL VISIT. His next "thing" - yes but I don't like spending a lot of money in one go, I like to keep it in my bank account. Are you kidding me? (Bear in mind hes got £40K in there)

He just cannot see how much hassle it is....

Deep down I'm sure he likes making me do it because hes got power then. Hes got me doing something for him. Its weird but I think its true....
(2)

Oh and last week he actually said "oh well its a break for you coming to visit me isn't it?". I just looked at him.

Yeh, I love working all day, rushing around to get out the house, seeing my kids for a short time before youngest goes to bed, getting 5 things in the supermarket, driving 25 miles each way, listening to him going on about how ill he is, then finally getting home for my evening meal at 9pm. Its like a lovely little midweek holiday :-(
(2)

My Mother started shopping like that. Not a week's worth anymore - just a few items several times a week instead eg that night's meal, 2 tins of soup, 1 packet of biscuits.

This was pre-TIA being DX. The small changes I noticed (shopping, housework, bathing) may well have been due to vascular changes already present.

Working memory is required to plan meals, longer grocery lists & for banking. Smaller amounts easier. Hmmmm??
(1)

I think in Paul's father's case, it is probably all about CONTROL. By drip feeding requests for things on a regular basis, he is ensuring Paul gives him the attention he wants. Been there, done that, my mother is exactly the same.
(2)

And Beatty, it seems to go from one extreme to the other: either hoarding stuff, or as you say, buying tiny amounts every day or so.
(0)

So true Chriscat, hoarder or miser!

My DH did a very small grocery shop last week & my hoarder pile of books is growing... Oh dear!

My Mother is about control too - BIG time. But not Paul's Dad's attention-seeking control style. Hers is more environment: leave that-I don't need it-it will do-don't ever wash anything.
(1)

The not washing things enough is a problem here too. When mum goes into her supported living trial stay in January, I'm washing everything she's left at home as I don't think some clothes have been washed or dry cleaned in years. Never sure if this is because we can't be bothered, it's too much trouble and unnecessary or we are unable to. Don't think it's the latter as she does a laundry wash each week but it's never very much. Refuses to accept that this is a problem though.
(1)

It's loss of executive functioning, to be sure. Almost certainly vascular changes are responsible.
(2)

Barb, I’m not sure what to do about it....
(0)

Thanks, Chriscat83--besides my own collecting and studies, I've seen a few of the educational videos in which decimalisation is discussed, but of course not everyone had access to something like these (filmstrips?) back in 1971. I suppose there were a number of pamphlets printed to explain the change. In the US, there were pamphlets printed to introduce denomination of paper money when each "big-headed" version came out, describing most of the security features.

My parents never had a computer. My father didn't want one while my mother was only mildly interested and never pursued it. I guess I'm "behind the times" too. because I don't use a smart phone, and barely use a flip phone--my life simply isn't so complicated that I need all this! I bought a new car a year ago, and have never used anything on the screen except the back-up camera images.
(0)

Jacobsonbob, there were TV ads (public information films really) explaining decimalisation. I bet they are on You Tube somewhere. Pamphlets too - we all got one at school and our maths lessons were all about converting from old to new money. Know what you mean about car gadgets- when my new car arrived earlier this year I switched off virtually everything. I would rather drive than sit there while the car apparently does it all for you!
(1)

On a slightly different note, MIL is still im hospital. Pretty serious - they're talking about bowel resection now which would mean a bag.... Shes not going to be happy.

I do feel sorry for her at the moment. Its a tough time with no visitors too.

If she pulls through who knows what will happen if shes got the bag. Shes useless at looking after herself as it is. I guess its going to come up where shes going to live etc.

Alas, a lot of this is due to her not looking after herself. Smoked heavily for 30 years, hardly eats at home, and drinks way too much alcohol than is good for her....
(3)

Paul,

So sorry that your mother in law is going through a rough time.

Hoping that she will receive the best care possible.
(2)

Bob,

My daughters would say that you are out of the loop!

I like simplicity too. I do love a smart phone for photos. Does anyone use a camera anymore? LOL

I love the backup camera in my car! I would love a self driving car. A chauffeur would be even better! 😊

My mother never used ‘cruise’ control in her car! She said that SHE wanted to be in control of her car!

Mom didn’t like when daddy used the ‘cruise’ control. He told her to “Get with it!” He also told her to stop being a backseat driver. Hahaha 🤣

Mom was always a backseat driver when she rode with me. I told her that she had two choices.

1. Allow me to drive without her backseat driving.

OR

2. She could walk, call someone else or a cab.

No more backseat driving from mom! 😊
(2)

Paul, do you know if anyone has asked MIL what she is thinking about all that goes on with her and whether she wants the proposed / possible treatment?

If she pulls through, her life most likely will be spent in a nursing home somewhere. A sad existence. If I were in her current state of health and current prognosis, having lived 80 some years (right?), I probably would want a swift and painless transition to the next realm. A slow decline into oblivion is like crawling through h3ll.
(2)

Grocery stores deliver...that may be the only way...there’s also Catholic Charities...or by schools if you need...hugs 🤗
(0)

NHWM--Yes, I'm definitely a product of the 20th century. Frankly, I wish I had a real camera--I have a hand-me-down smartphone with no "phone account" that I use strictly as a camera, and I find it rather miserable to use for this purpose. I also have a couple old Sony Mavica cameras that record on a 3" floppy disk, and I like using them but they are limited as to the resolution of the photos, but very easy to handle and use. (Now, if I could just retrofit one with the camera from a smartphone....)

I have cruise control which I sometimes use on trips, but I find I generally get better gas mileage without it because it can't "anticipate" hills. Otherwise, I like to do the driving myself without a lot of bells and whistles.

Chriscat83--Yes, I've seen some of these informational videos on YouTube, so I should have surmised they would have been on TV. I tried looking at eBay to see if any of these pamphlets were available, but didn't find any. The US used to have pamphlets named "Know Your Money" published by the Secret Service, so of course they had instructions regarding the detection of counterfeit money, and I have a couple versions of these. BTW, I recall reading that the first generation of 1 pound coins was subject to rather extensive counterfeiting, necessitating the use of the new bimetallic ones.
(2)

Bob,

You tickle me, actually crack me up at times! Hahaha

I get it! My husband amazed my children when he broke out ‘slides’ of his trip to Germany that he took right after his high school graduation.

It was a summer program for students offered by Georgetown University for future engineering students.

The following fall he attended Tulane university here in New Orleans.

My kids knew nothing about a projector and slides!

Oh, those old fashioned home movies too that people had. Hahaha

Oh wait, my husband had a reel to reel that he had his music collection on. I had the ordinary turntable.

So many things have changed, huh? We didn’t have computers or cell phones in our youth.

Millennials have been very hi tech since they were toddlers!

Everything from our generation is totally outdated, gone forever now. I am always amazed at the advances in medicine.

My friend’s son just told her that he was selling his sports car that has a standard shift because when he has to park it in a public parking lot, the attendants don’t know how to drive a car that isn’t an automatic!
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter