Follow

My daughter graduates this year and will not be able to have an official ceremony. Diplomas are being mailed to the graduating class. So sad 😞.

Of course, public safety comes first but this is a disappointment to her. It is to us too. We have all looked forward to seeing her in her cap and gown!

I’m bummed 🙁. We will have no memories or photos of her big day!

There wasn’t a suitable category to put this under. There should be a miscellaneous spot to post various topics.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Perhaps the university will have one later when it's safer?    That might be something the parents can raise now, for consideration later.    That's what I would do.

But I do give them credit for considering the safety of all.
(4)

Geaux Tigers! Our tiger is graduating and we won’t get to witness it. So sad. 😞

I feel so badly for my daughter. She is really disappointed.
(1)

GA,

Students were notified saying they could graduate with the following graduating class but she is planning on moving out of state. I’m sure lots of students will be moving to various locations. She may not be able to return at that time.

All of the invitations were printed for this May. Cap and gown ordered, etc. We have hotel reservations for the night before so we didn’t have to drive back later. Just disappointed. I so wanted to see her receive her diploma.
(2)

Okay, someone cheer me up please. Boo hoo 😢

Sorry that I am getting overly emotional but this is my baby. I was really looking forward to her graduation.
(3)

Needhelpwithmom, I am sooooo sorry!!! I know how much this must hurt!!! When my older son graduated, my husband and younger son were driving the night before to meet him. Our car broke down and turned into a fiasco and had to go to the airport to rent a car. It was nighttime. We rented the car and we were able to make the graduation because we went down the night before. I know how important it is to see your baby graduate!!! This is devastating news!!! I am crying with you Needhelpwithmom. Fight to have them do it at a later date. Let them know you have waited for this moment a long time and it means a lot to see her walk down with her cap and gown. I’m sure the other parents feel as you do. If you let the university know, maybe they will have it at a later date. I am so sorry.
(2)

Elaine,

Thanks, I am so bummed 🙁.

My daughter is planning on moving after graduation. She has interviews lined up in June. She wants to to live in Denver.

Oh, guess how much her plane ticket was to fly to Denver in June? $58! Airfare is cheap now!!!

So, if she lands a job in Denver or another city then it may not be feasible for her to return to Baton Rouge, Louisiana to attend a future graduation ceremony.

Wow, what an awful time for you to break down. So unnerving but I am glad you went early!
(1)

I know it's not the same as graduation, but if she has already ordered her cap and gown,, get a private photo session and get those pictures!! It will still be special to you all,, and you will have them to look back on. I am so sorry your day is going to be messed up, but this one way to celebrate, and maybe have a special family celebration too.
(5)

I’m so sorry :(

My daughter is so upset because they just announced that softball is cancelled until further notice and the county has closed all schools until at least 3/31 and all school sports and activities are cancelled too. Yesterday my son’s flag football league cancelled the rest of the season. I get it but it’s still crummy especially since we have no confirmed cases here. First softball game was supposed to be tomorrow morning.
(1)

If it helps, this was supposed to be the year my youngest graduated, too. We just found out he's on the five-year plan now.

Goody -- Another year of tuition! ¯\_( ͡❛ ͜ʖ ͡❛)_/¯
(1)

Sad. This whole situation is sad in so many ways. Sending you a big hug and a big CONGRATS on your daughter's brilliant achievement. Make sure to have a party anyway, and celebrate hard, in spite of no graduation ceremony.
(2)

I expect my graduation ceremony may be canceled too. I waited a very long time to get my degree.

it is sad, but safety is more important.
(4)

Pam, yes I want photos of her in her cap and gown.

Cali, kids all over in different circumstances are upset over all of this. Tons of these cancelled. Sorry about your kids being disappointed.

Mj, just what you need, more tuition!

Thanks, Leolonnie My daughter will be your neighbor in Denver! She is excited about interviewing there.

Congrats! Tothill. It very well may be postponed.
(0)

My son just wrote me and said there were 2 confirmed people who tested positive for the corona virus in the building he works at in New York City. Needless to say he will be working from his apartment.
(1)

it is all disappointing but perspective is needed.

80 years ago young college aged men (and women) weren't worried about not going to their college graduation. They were sent off to war and many never came back.

We owe so much to those people. Missing a graduation is a bummer, not trying to make light of it, but it could be worst.
(4)

Elaine,

Hope your son stays well. My husband’s company asked everyone to work at home also.
(1)

I am so sorry! This is a milestone in one's life. While not comparable to watching her walk across the stage, I hope you're able to get her cap and gown and have a blowout celebration together.
(1)

So sorry for you. Just becoming an overwhelming time each day.
(2)

NeedHelpWithMom, life is so far from being static today, that your daughter's plans for June may be changed to staying at home.    Not trying to be discouraging, but the firm(s) with which she interviews may not be hiring at that time, especially if they too end up shutting down temporarily.

There are going to be some serious changes in firm valuations and operations b/c of the shutdown.  Layoffs have already taken place, and while I hope that she doesn't experience difficulty finding a job, it would be nice if you as Mom could have her with you for a few more months while the CV works its way through the country, and the world.

I hope you and your family are safe and remain so.
(1)

NHwM, I'm hoping that some enterprising photography studio has an LSU cap and gown and will do photos in her/his studio.
(2)

If you have the cap and gown--have her go have some portraits done for the 'wall of pride'.

I bet you are sad! My son was graduating, but getting ready to get married and move to CT to go to Law School. He and my SIL were graduating from the school of business and my SIL worked his rear end off to graduate--so no way he wasn't going to 'walk'. My son, being the putz he can often be, refused to 'walk'. He said "come out to New Haven and watch B (his wife) and I walk from Law School and Med School" I pulled the mom guilt thing and said "who knows where we'll be in 3 years?! Please do this for me".

So he takes off from work, throws on his cap and gown and sits through the ceremony looking like somebody'd shot his dog. He didn't even bother to put on a tie. My SIL, on the other hand--what a proud moment!

Flash fwd 3 years and both son and his wife are graduating--and guess what? We were stuck within a 2 hr radius of the hospital where my hubby was going to get a liver transplant. We could not travel to CT or anywhere. So we did NOT see them graduate--sent our YD and her hubby out to 'represent'.

It IS a huge deal for parents, even if the student is just burned out and wants to get on with life.

Everybody is dealing with disappointment as we as a world are trying to stop the spread of this disease. It's definitely testing our abilities to work TOGETHER and be upbeat and positive.

Go ahead and feel bad. I know I would. Then, move forward and think how proud you are of such an accomplishment.
(3)

My Uni has the professional Cap 'n Gown photos done months before graduation. I had mine done two weeks ago. So although I may not walk across the stage, I will have my photos.
(3)

My son is a senior just down the road at Millsaps in Jackson, MS. I have been anticipating this news for him. I hope they delay their decision a bit. It seems a month too early. I hate that Louisiana is considered a high-risk state for corona!
(0)

Boy I am going to get beat up for this one but I cannot help myself

Does LSU even have classes and a school to graduate from? I thought they just played football.
(0)

Karsten,

Haha, very funny! You seem to enjoy stirring the pot. Not seeing my child graduating is upsetting but go ahead and make your stupid jokes. I do have a sense of humor but your timing stinks.

LSU is our flagship school, a very well respected school that happens to have a phenomenal football team! This year was certainly their year, undefeated and national won the championship. Geaux Tigers!

I am proud that my daughter attended LSU. She is extremely bright and was accepted into top schools in various places (including private schools) when she was researching schools. She interned while still in high school and received college credit. She specifically chose LSU.
(1)

Blueday,

We toured Millsaps with our daughter. It’s a great school but my daughter wanted to be in a larger school. Millsaps is a very small school and my daughter is more comfortable in a larger school.
(0)

Thanks, MidKid

Your words are very comforting and encouraging.

Interesting news about your son. Life can throw surprises at us for sure, right Mid?
(0)

Barb,

She had hired professional photographer to do her photos on campus like many of the graduates do at LSU. LSU has a pretty campus with huge live oak trees.

Oh well...it’s a disappointment but can’t be helped. Stinks for this years graduating class.

She has interviews lined up in Denver in June. I was so looking forward to this.

As you know, Barb that I was taking care of mom since my daughters were young. I didn’t get the opportunity to share her college experience with her.

I had to stay with mom so I didn’t get to visit her in Baton Rouge. I’m really bummed 🙁 but trying to handle it as best that I can. She hated telling me there was no graduation.

Huge let down for my daughter. I told her that I was sorry about not being able to attend a ceremony and that I knew how disappointed she is but that we were very proud of her with or without a ceremony.
(1)

GA,

This is true. One day at the time. My daughter is one that likes to have plans set. She takes after her father!

It took me awhile to figure things out but my husband was one of those people in life that knew his path from a very young child.

He actually started designing control panels for his bedroom at a very young age.

His mom had to take him to the main library for technical books because the small neighborhood library did not have them.

He was the geek kid who ended up being a wonderful engineer.
(0)

The traditional graduation ceremony really does matter!
That is disappointing, NHWM. Sorry for your disappointment.

When my son was needing to complete one class in summer high school, he was still able to go through the ceremony and receive a "fake" diploma. He did, but to this day, when a graduation ceremony comes up, or the topic, he says "I didn't really graduate."
This has stayed with him into adulthood.

You can make a big deal over it, with friends gathering in cap & gown on the beach somewhere, in late Spring. After the threat of the virus passes. Looking forward to a good outcome. If precautions are taken now, the spread will stop.
I do like the idea of the professional photos.

Maybe LSU can have an extra ceremony for next year's graduates and include this years people.

Such an accomplishment should not go un-celebrated, imo.

Congrats to the graduate and her MOM!
(1)

Thanks River and MM. I appreciate it. Means a lot that people are so comforting at a time like this.

I know graduation is special for all parents but because I was primary caregiver to my mom for so long I missed out on so much with my kids.

My kids were understanding about it but it’s one of my biggest regrets in life. When my daughters told me that they would care for me like I did their grandma it upset me. I told them I did not expect that from them and that I wanted them to enjoy their lives.

I get hit by emotions that are hard to cope with at times but I will make it. I always have. I have a good support system in place. That helps.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter